Akshaya Tritiya also spelled as Akshaya Trithiya is one of the auspicious days for buying gold or property. Gold invokes prosperity and hence people used to buy atleast a small amount of gold on this day. The word Akshaya, derived from Sanskrit, means eternal or never diminishing. Akshaya Tritiya is believed to bring in good luck and success.
In 2016, Akshaya Tritiya falls on May 9th, IST. This day is auspicious to begin new ventures, for new investments, constructions etc.
Significance of Akshaya Tritiya
- It was on this day that Kubera received his wealth and position as custodian of wealth and property.
- Lord Ganesha, the obstacle remover, started writing the Hindu epic Mahabharata to Ved Vyas’s dictation on this day.
- Goddess Annapoorna was born on this day.
- Parashurama, the 6th incarnation of God Vishnu, was also born on this day.
- As per Hindu Mythology, Treta yuga began on this day
- As per Vedic scriptures, this is an auspicious day to gain knowledge. It is also good for doing charities.